Jason requested this for dinner weeks ago. Every week it would be written on our Weekly Menu, but for one reason or another, it would get pushed into the next week. Finally, I got around to making it and it was a hit!
1 1/2 lbs Russett potatoes, peeled and chopped small
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 cup milk
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 tbsp olive oil
2 large (about 1 cup) carrots, peeled and diced small
1 small onion, diced small
1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup fresh green beans, chopped
1 cup corn kernels
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tbsp tomato paste
3/4 cup low sodium broth
1/4 red wine (no wine? Just use more broth)
Salt and pepper
1. Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cool water. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and return to the hot pot. Warm the milk and butter in the microwave until butter is soft and the milk is just slightly warm. Carefully whisk in the yolk (make sure your milk isn't too hot or the yolk will cook). Mash the milk mixture into the potatoes. Mix in the cheese and pepper. Set aside.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and preheat the oven to 400. Once oil is near shimmering, add the carrots and onions. Sauté until they begin to soften, 5-10 minutes. Add beef and garlic and cook until beef is no longer pink. Drain beef mixture.
3. Return the beef to the pan and add the green beans, corn, marjoram, thyme, bay leaf and flour. Stir until everything is combined and the flour has been absorbed. Add the tomato paste, broth and wine. Let the filling simmer until the sauce begins to thicken, about 10-15 minutes.
4. Remove bay leaf and season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour mixture into an 8x11 baking dish. Top with prepared mashed potatoes, ensuring the potatoes reach the edges.
5. Place baking dish on a cookie sheet and bake until potatoes begin to brown, approximately 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes. Serve and enjoy!!