Monday, January 28, 2013

Slow Cooked Chicken

I've always avoided cooking whole chickens.  Partly because I was intimidated and partly because, well, because I find chicken absolutely disgusting.  But, I put on my big girl panties and decided that I would try it out.  I can't believe how easy this was (but, I'm not going to lie, the raw chicken was still disgusting!).   I decided to roast potatoes separately, but you could definitely throw some in with the onions and carrots for a one-pot meal.  I used the leftover chicken to make White & Green Chicken Chili. Oh, and be sure to save all the excess liquid, skin and bones to make homemade chicken stock!

Slow Cooked Chicken
Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
1 4-5lb whole chicken, giblets removed
4 medium carrots, peeled
1 1/2 onions, divided
1/2 of a lemon
2-3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
Salt and pepper
All purpose seasoning (I like Simply Organic) or combo of any seasonings

Directions:
1.  Rinse the chicken thoroughly inside and out.  Place on a large tray and pat dry with paper towels.  Chop an onion and the carrots into 1 1/2 inch chunks; place in the bottom of the crock pot. Cut the other half of onion in half.  Place that, along with the half of lemon and garlic cloves inside of the chicken.  Place the chicken over the veggies in the crock pot and generously season with salt, pepper and all purpose seasoning.  Cover (do not add any liquid!!!) and cook on low for 8 hours.  Remove from the crock 15 minutes before serving to rest.  Enjoy! 

                        

No comments:

Post a Comment