Sunday, January 27, 2013

Baked Risotto

For the most part, I've been back to my healthy-cooking ways.  I've been tracking calories and exercising on a regular basis.  But, when I got my new issue of Cook's Country magazine (I'm such a sucker for America's Test Kitchen), I just had to try their recipe for Baked Risotto.  It's ah-mazing!  So creamy and cheesy and delicious.  And yes, it's pretty high in calories too, but oh so yummy!!  I followed the recipe to a tee this time, but I'll try and lighten it up the next time I make it.  The recipe recommends making this in a Dutch oven.  I don't have one (yet - I'm getting one soon.  Yippee!!) so I just transferred everything to a 4 qt casserole dish that had a lid.

I totally forgot to take pictures, but managed to snap a quick one once it came out of the oven.  Just believe me when I say that this is one of the most delicious things you will ever eat!

Baked Risotto
Serves 6

Ingredients:
5 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken stock
1/2 cup water
2 bay leaves
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1 onion, chopped fine
2 cups Arborio rice
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 1/4 cups grated Parmesan
1 tbsp fresh or dried parsley
salt and pepper

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Bring broth, water and bay leaves to a simmer over medium heat.  Cover and keep warm on low heat.

2.  Melt butter in a medium pan over medium heat.  Add onion and 1/2 tsp salt and cook until the onion just begins to brown.  Stir in rice and cook until the edges of the rice begin to turn translucent.  Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds.  Add wine and cook for one more minute.

3.  Transfer rice to a 4-6 quartt casserole dish with a tight fitting lid.  Pour the warm broth over the rice.  Place a piece of foil over the top of the dish, gently pushing down so the foil is resting on the broth and cover.  Bake until liquid is absorbed - about 25-30 minutes.  Remove from oven, discard bay leaves and stir in Parmesan and parsley.  Serve and enjoy!

Nutrition Info Per Serving:  Cal: 413, Protein: 14g, Sodium: 513mg, Carbs: 55g, Fat: 15g

No comments:

Post a Comment