Never worked with an avocado before? I got your back. Check out some helpful hints I have below the recipe!
1 roma tomato (I like to seed mine), diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 medium onion, diced
1 handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
3 avocados, diced or smashed, depending on your preference
Juice of 1/2 a lime
Dash of Cayenne
Few pinches of salt
Put the first 5 ingredients in a bowl, with the avocado on top. Sprinkle the cayenne and salt and squeeze the lime juice on top of the avocado. Mix well. You can serve immediately, but I prefer to tightly press plastic wrap over the top and refrigerate it for 2-3 hours before serving.
Tips for working with avocados:
- When picking out an avocado, take the little stem off the top of it. If it's brown underneath, the avocado is bad. You want it to be bright green.
- Avocados should be a little soft with a little bit of give. You definitely don't want a super soft avocado - it's past its prime.
- If all of the avocados are hard as a rock, no worries. Place in a brown paper bag for a day or two, they'll ripen right up.
- Avocados brown very easily and very fast. I've heard many different ways to slow down the browning process, but I don't think any work as well as pressing plastic wrap down tightly over the top of the guacamole. This keeps oxygen from getting to the avocado.
- Finally, if you've never cut an avocado and aren't sure how to, check this out.