So....my diet kind of went down the tubes this weekend through no fault but my own. But, I did make a fairly healthy dinner tonight. It's another Eat Better America recipe...well, kind of. It's my take on their "Healthified" Fettuccine Alfredo. I've made a couple of adjustments but it's basically the same recipe. The main difference is that I use whole wheat linguine, while they use regular fettuccine. I couldn't find whole wheat fettuccine or I would use that.
- 8 oz uncooked whole wheat linguine
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 oz 1/3 less-fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- steamed veggies (optional)
- fresh parsley (optional)
- Cook linguine as directed on package. Drain and keep warm
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, stir milk, flour, salt, black pepper and cayenne with wire whisk until smooth. In 2-quart saucepan melt butter over medium-low heat. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly (do not burn). With wire whisk, stir milk mixture into butter in saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture thickens & boils.
- Stir in cream cheese until melted. Stir in Parmesan cheese until melted. Pour over linguine and steamed veggies (if using); toss to coat. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Jason says "It's like fine dining at home." :)
This alfredo definitely isn't as creamy as regular alfredo, and does get kind of thick quickly, but it is still pretty darn tasty. I really like it with broccoli (I just chop it up and throw it in with the pasta to cook it), but I forgot to pick some up at the store. I had a bag of frozen corn, carrots & broccoli so I picked all the carrots and broccoli out of that and added it in tonight. Of course it would be good with chicken too, I'm sure.
That's all I have for tonight....gonna go snuggle with my baby boy and make up my menu and grocery list for the week. Tomorrow is my first official weigh-in day - wish me luck!