Sunday, January 30, 2011

Three Bean Chili

For the first time, I have successfully met my 5 workout/week goal.  I have finally kicked whatever cold bug I had and I'm really hoping to be down at least a pound when I weigh in tomorrow morning.  Once I get into calorie counting and working out I become almost obsessed with it, and I'm getting to that point.  When you keep track of every single morsel of food that enters your mouth, it really puts things into perspective and how much you used to mindlessly eat.  I'm hoping that I'm even more successful this time around because we hardly ever go out to eat anymore, so I'm forced to cook almost every night.  Before we had Redmond, we would eat out at least twice a week....but now we don't want to take him out if we don't have to, especially during the Michigan winter.  And, it's a lot more work now to run to the gas station to get a bag of Cheetos and a Little Debbie snack cake :)

So, speaking of food, onto today's recipe.  During the winter I make chili at least twice a month - it's so easy, yummy, spicy and warm.  We love it!

Three Bean Vegetarian Chili:
About 8 (large) servings
Ingredients:
  • 1 can (30.5oz) Brooks Chili Hot Beans, undrained
  • 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
  • 1 can great northern beans, drained & rinsed
  • 2 cans (14.5oz) no salt added diced tomatoes
  • 1 can (14.5oz) diced tomatoes w/ chiles
  • 2 medium green bell peppers, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & diced
  • 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tbsp Chili Powder
  • 1 tbsp Cumin
  • Salt
  • Pepper
Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients into 4-5 quart crock pot, add seasonings to taste and cook on low for 8-9 hours. 

I don't measure any of the seasonings, so the measurements are kind of an estimate.  And of course, it's even better with cheese:

mmm.....cheesy.....

We're supposed to get hit with a huge snowstorm starting tomorrow evening through Wednesday.  Thankfully I got all of the grocery shopping done today and have our menu figured out for the week....or at least the main dishes.  Stay tuned for:
  • Stuffed Poblanos
  • Peanut Butter Noodles
  • French Onion Soup (vegetarian, of course)
  • Au Gratin Potatoes
  • Creamy Pasta with Spinach
Can't wait for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment