Monday, September 10, 2012

Apple Crisp

I was so excited when I went into my favorite organic market in MD and they had fresh Honeycrisp apples.  I love Honeycrisp apples and so does Jason.  I found the perfect bag, got home all ready to dig in and realized I had gotten a bag of Galas instead :(  I'm very particular about my apples (well, most fruit actually) - they need to be nice and crisp.  These, unfortunately, were not.  So, I needed something to do with them.  I went to the America's Test Kitchen website and did a search.  I decided on their Fruit Crisp (not sure if that link will work, some recipes you have to have a membership to view) recipe - I made a few changes - their recipe called for nutmeg, nuts and lemon zest.  I'm not a fan of nutmeg so I upped the cinnamon, also not a fan of nuts in baked goods so I subbed in old fashioned oats and I had no fresh lemons so I just added a bit more lemon juice.  Galas wouldn't be my first choice for an apple crisp, but it was still yummy!

Apple Crisp
Serves 6-8

Ingredients:
6 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
5 tbsp chilled butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
2 1/2 - 3 lbs (about 6 cups) apples*
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice

Directions:
1.  Heat oven to 375° and spray an 8x8 baking dish with non-stick spray.  Combine the first 7 ingredients (flour through oats) in a medium bowl and, using either a pastry cutter or two forks, mix until it resembles coarse crumbles.  Refrigerate while you prepare the apples, for at least 15 minutes.  Thinly slice or chop apples and combine with the 1/4 cup sugar and lemon juice.  Using a rubber spatula, scrape all of the filling into the prepared baking dish.


2.  Sprinkle on refrigerated topping and bake for 40 minutes.  Increase heat to 400° and bake an additional 5 minutes, until apples are bubbling and topping is browned.  Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving.  Enjoy!



*This recipe could be used with just about any fruit.  Nectarines, plums, peaches, berries, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment