Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Goulash

I never had Goulash growing up - it was a total foreign food to me.  But for Jason, it was a staple in his house.  So, when he asked for it for dinner years ago when we first started living together I was totally clueless.  When he bought this house, his mom gave him a recipe box full of different recipes that she and his grandmothers made while he was younger.  Thankfully, inside that box was a recipe for goulash.  Now I, of course, have changed it up a bit and made it my own, but now I stick to this recipe every time I make it.  It's become one of my favorites and it's nice because I can make a vegetarian version for myself and a meaty version for him.  And, it's one of the very few things I'll actually eat left over!

Goulash
Serves 2-4
His and hers.....or is it hers and his?
Ingredients:
1 cup uncooked elbow noodles (I like Ronzoni Smart Taste)
1 tsp evoo
1 cup diced celery
3/4 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced red or green onion
1 roma tomato, diced
1/2 lb ground beef (I prefer to use lean for this)
or
1 1/2 cups veggie crumbles (I like Morningstar brand)
2 cups no salt added tomato sauce
Pepper
1/2 tbsp dried basil

Directions:
1. Cook elbow noodles in boiling water for 5 minutes (you want them al dente).  Drain and set aside.  Heat evoo in a large pan with a tight fitting lid and add in beef or veggie crumbles, basil, pepper, celery, onion and bell peppers.  Saute until beef is browned and veggies have begun to soften.  If using beef, drain any excess grease after meat has been browned and cooked through. 


2.  Add in tomato sauce, diced tomato and reserved noodles.  Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.  Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment