Saturday, September 15, 2012

Eggplant Parmesan Sticks

One of my biggest cravings this pregnancy has been Eggplant Parmesan.  I've been making it quite a big and was so excited when Jason brought home a fresh eggplant from a co-worker's garden.  I had just made Eggplant Parm the week prior, so I wanted something a little different (but not too different!).  I was inspired by a recipe for Eggplant Sticks on Skinnytaste.  I took the idea of eggplant cut into sticks, but used my own recipe and served them as a side dish instead of a main course.

Eggplant Parmesan Sticks
Serves 2 as a side, 4 as an appetizer
(pictured with my Quick and Easy Marinara)
Ingredients:
1 medium eggplant
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup Italian panko breadcrumbs
1/3 cup fresh Parmesan, grated

Directions:
1.  Slice the eggplant lengthwise into 1 inch slices.  Then, cut the eggplant into 2 inch by 1 inch sticks.  Place eggplant sticks on a cooling rack and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp Kosher salt - this will help remove excess moisture.  Let sit for 30-60 minutes, flip slices and repeat.  *This step isn't necessary, but I always do this anytime I make eggplant or zucchini*.

2.  Preheat oven to 375° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.  Place the beaten eggs in a shallow dish and the breadcrumbs and Parmesan in another.  Dip the sticks in the egg then coat in the breadcrumb mixture and place on cookie sheet.  Repeat until all sticks have been dipped and coated. 
Why yes, those ARE Cars-themed plates.  They're the best for dipping and dredging!
3.  Spray the top of the eggplant sticks with nonstick spray and bake for 30 minutes, flipping once.  Serve with marinara dipping sauce and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment