Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms

These mushrooms are the reason why I actually like mushrooms now.  It's a recipe my mom makes all the time and, not being able to pass up on all the melty, cheesy, yumminess, I used to pick out the smallest mushrooms to eat.....now I go for the biggest with the most filling!

Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms
Makes 3-4 dozen

Ingredients:*
1 pkg frozen chopped spinach (10oz), thawed and squeezed of all excess water (I use a clean kitchen towel)
2 8oz pkgs cream cheese (I use the reduced fat)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
1/2 cup plus 1 cup shredded Italian blend cheese
2lbs fresh mushrooms, stemmed and wiped clean

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°.  De-stem and wipe clean the mushrooms with a damp paper towel; place on a rimmed baking sheet.  In a large bowl mix together green onions, worcestershire, cream cheese, 1/2 cup Italian blend cheese and spinach (this can be done one day in advance - just cover and store in the fridge).




2.  Stuff mushroom caps with mixture, sprinkle remaining cup of Italian blend cheese on top.  Bake for 20-30 minutes, until filling is golden and cheese is melted.

                                                   

*The original recipe calls for only 1/2 pkg of frozen spinach and a 1/2 cup of imitation crab meat, chopped.  I don't care for the crab meat so I substituted it with more spinach.*

No comments:

Post a Comment