Sunday, February 5, 2012

Dark Chocolate Cherry Scones

I got the base of this recipe from one of my all time favorite sites, Skinnytaste, I just changed my add-ins.....and I made mine bigger portions ☺  Hers calls for just chocolate chips, stuck to that, but I used dark chocolate chips instead.  I've had an obsession with dried cherries lately, just eating them by the handful, so I knew that I wanted to add those in too (and, seriously, I don't need to be eating them by the handful).  This is the first time I ever made scones so I don't have anything to compare them to.  But, they came out pretty tasty!

Dark Chocolate Cherry Scones
Makes 8 Scones
 
Ingredients:
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp chilled butter, diced
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup dried cherries
1 egg white, slightly beaten
1 tbsp sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375° and either spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray or line it with parchment paper.  Whisk the first four ingredients in a medium-sized bowl

In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder and salt.  Once mixed well, cut in the butter - do this with a pastry cutter, two knives or, do what I did and use a potato masher!  You want it to resemble a course meal.

Fold in the chocolate chips and cherries.  With a spatula, add the milk mixture and combine.  You want a sticky dough.


Dump the dough on to a floured surface (I just used the parchment paper on my cookie sheet).  With floured hands, knead the dough 3-4 times until it forms into a nice ball.  Place the dough onto greased cookie sheet and shape into a round - approx 9 inches in diameter and 3/4 inches thick.  With a large knife, slice the dough into 8 slices.  Brush the top of the dough with the beaten egg white and sprinkle the sugar over the top.


Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until the top is golden brown.  Serve immediately or let cool.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment